Strawberry & Ginger Tart
Ready in: 60 mins +
This easy-to-make tart is bursting with the flavours of summer, and makes the ideal centrepiece.
Ingredients:500g ready-to-roll shortcrust pastry
100ml ginger cordial
flour, for dusting
For the filling:250ml fresh custard
2 tsp cornflour
600g strawberries, hulled
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin, then use it to line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill for half an hour until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/375F/Gas 6. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10-15 minutes, remove the beans and paper, and bake for a further five minutes until golden. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Pour the cordial into a small pan, bring to the boil, then cook for 2-3 minutes until it has reduced to a sticky syrup. Use to generously brush over the pastry case, reserving the remaining syrup.
- Whisk the custard and cornflour together in a pan over a medium heat. Slowly bring to the boil then cook for three minutes, whisking constantly. Pour into the pastry case, leave to cool slightly, then arrange the strawberries on top.
- Brush the strawberries with the syrup, then transfer the tart to the fridge for one hour before turning out and serving.