California Walnut Oatcakes with Apple Walnut Chutney
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Bored of the usual store-bought crackers? These walnut oatcakes are the perfect vessel for your favourite vegetarian cheeses, paired with a walnut and apple chutney.
For the chutney:800g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced
350g light brown soft sugar
100g California Raisins
150g California Walnut Halves
1 onion, chopped (180g)
2 tsp mustard seeds
350ml cider vinegar
For the walnut oatcakes:50g California Walnut Halves
100g medium oatmeal
75g wholemeal plain flour
¼ tsp sea salt
75g butter, diced
To serve:Cheddar and blue cheeses
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- To make the chutney, add 800 of peeled, diced Bramley apples, 350g of light brown sugar, 100g of raisins, 150g walnut halves, a chopped onion, two teaspoons of mustard seeds and 350ml cider vinegar in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Season, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the fruit is soft. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the oatcakes by placing 50g of walnut halves in a food processor and pulsing until finely chopped. Add 100g of oatmeal, 75g wholemeal plain flour and a quarter teaspoon of salt and pulse to mix evenly. Add 75g of diced butter, and process until the mixture is just beginning to come together. Add one to two tablespoons of water, and mix again to form a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface to 3mm thickness, then cut out 12 7cm rounds. Place the oatcakes on greased baking trays, and cook for 15 minutes, until just turning golden. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Serve the oatcakes with the chutney and a selection of cheese.