Baked Shallots with Squash and Crispy Rosemary and Olive Oil Breadcrumb Topping
Ready in: 60 mins +
This filling vegan supper from UK Shallots is filled with sweet roast shallots and butternut squash topped with crispy herbs breadcrumbs.
Ingredients:1kg butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and cut into 5cm chunks
5 tbsp olive oil
12 shallots, peeled
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp of rosemary leaves, chopped
2 tbsp of flat leaf parsley, chopped
zest of 1 orange
120g fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Peel the butternut squash and discard the seeds, cut the flesh into large bite sized chunks.
- Place the shallots in an ovenproof dish and toss with one tablespoon of olive oil, season with sea salt and black pepper, and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and add the butternut squash, make sure the vegetables are qell coated with the oil mixture and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat with the garlic and cook for one minute, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the chilli, rosemary, parsley and orange zest, stirring constantly. When thoroughly mixed, add the breadcrumbs and season. Cook for a further minute then take off the heat and set aside.
- Remove the shallots and squash from the oven and reduce the heat to 180C/350F/Gas 5, spread the breadcrumb mixture over the top and return to the oven for a further 25-30 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are a deep, golden colour.