Baked Aubergine with Cashew Cheese, Pesto & Rich Tomato Sauce
Ready in: 60 mins +
Vegan pesto and cashew cheese add plenty of punch to these roasted aubergines...
For the tomato sauce:1 tbsp olive oil 1 red onion, roughly chopped 4 garlic cloves, sliced 5 large, ripe tomatoes, sliced roughly 2 red peppers, chopped lengthways 1 tsp sea salt pepper pinch of chilli flakes
For the aubergine:2 aubergines, sliced lengthwise, then scored left, then right 1 tbsp olive oil big pinch of sea salt
For the cashew cheese:1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 1 hour, but ideally 4) 60ml water 4 tbsp nutritional yeast 2 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tbsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp sea salt
For the pesto:2 big handfuls of organic basil 100g Brazil nuts 1 garlic clove 4 tbsp olive oil ½ tsp sea salt twist of black pepper 3 tbsp nutritional yeast water, to loosen
- To make the sauce, chargrill the peppers on a griddle pan (on a high heat) for about 15 minutes, turning frequently, until charred on both sides. Set aside, and when they are cool, chop them up roughly.
- Add your oil and onion to a wide-bottom pan, and fry gently on a low heat for around 10 minutes, until soft and browning. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes and roast peppers to the pan and cook on a low heat for 25 minutes. Add the salt, black pepper and optional chilli flakes to the pan and simmer for a further five minutes.
- To cook the aubergine, rub them with a bit of oil, then cook in a hot griddle pan, turning until charred on both sides and cooked through.
- For the cashew cheese, add all of the ingredients to your food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- To make the pesto, add all of the ingredients to a processor and blitz to a chunky paste. Add water if needed.
- To assemble, preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Add the tomato sauce to the bottom of a large baking tray (make sure it’s big enough for the aubergines to lie down). Place the aubergine, bottom-down, onto the tomato sauce. Spread some cashew cheese and a little pesto onto the slices of aubergine. Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes. This is delicious topped with dukkah and herbs!