Spiced Aubergine Pide
Ready in: 60 mins +
Try this Turkish take on a pizza, filled with our seasonal hero: aubergine!
For the dough:400g organic white flour
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp quick yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
350ml lukewarm water
For the aubergine filling:1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 medium aubergine, cut into 1cm cubes
3 tomatoes, chopped
½ tsp sea salt
pinch of sumac
big handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
For the coconut mint dip:3 tbsp coconut yoghurt
juice of ½ a lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, grated
big pinch of sea salt
4 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
To serve:pistachio dukkah
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
handful of fresh mint
- To make the dough, add the flour and salt to a large bowl and mix well. In a small bowl, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil with the lukewarm water and leave for a minute or so. Create a hole in the middle of the flour, and gradually add the liquid until you have a dough. Tip the dough onto a floured chopping board and knead for a few minutes, until the dough is springy. Transfer back to the bowl and cover with a damp cloth for about an hour – it should double in size. Transfer back onto the board and knead again to knock it back.
- To make the pide, add the onion to a large pan with the olive oil and sauté for 10 minutes on a low heat. Add in the spices and garlic, and fry for a few minutes. Add in the chopped aubergine, and stir-fry for a minute on a low heat. Add in the chopped tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the sumac and the chopped mint, then stir to combine.
- To make the coconut mint dip, add all of the ingredients to a jar and mix to combine. Add a little water to loosen if desired.
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Divide the dough into four, then roll out into long oval shapes. Pinch the dough at each end so that you are making a slipper shape.
- Spoon the aubergine mix onto the central part of each pide, leaving space around the edge. Fold the edges up and over the filling a little.
- Lightly oil a large baking tray and carefully transfer each pide onto it. Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is cooked and a little golden. Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and top with the mint dip, fresh mint, pomegranate seeds and dukkah.