Root Vegetable Tarte Tatin
This is the ultimate crowd-pleasing centrepiece
Ingredients:3 tbsp olive oil
6 shallots, peeled
1 large parsnip, cut into 4mm slices
200g Chantenay carrots, trimmed
6 Brussels sprouts, halved
1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
2 tsp pomegranate molasses
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
- Set the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Place the oil in a 20cm round cast iron frying pan. Oven heat for five minutes.
- Add the pomegranate molasses and the coriander to the hot oil then add the shallots, parsnip slices and carrots. Toss the veg to coat and season well.
- Bake for 10 minutes then add the sprouts and toss. Cook for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar in a saucepan with 3 tbsp water. Heat until bubbling. Remove from heat and add the lemon rind.
- Pour the syrup over the veg. Unroll the pastry and place over the pan. Fold any over-hanging pastry back over the pan to create a thicker layer. Press down and up to edges of pan gently. Prick several times and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate