Cruelty Free Beauty
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- Sri Lankan Style Curried Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- Christmas Lentil, Pistachio and Cranberry Loaf
- Mushroom Wellington
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Almande Apricot Flip
- Mushroom Pho
- California Walnut and Mushroom Burgers with Cucumber and Walnut Salad
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN FLATBREADS
- CAULIFLOWER BREAD
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- 6 Ways With… Rainbow Chard
- natural remedies for rosacea
- 6 Spiralizer Recipes That Will Brighten Up Your Day!
- Our Favourite Gluten-free Products for Coeliac Awareness Week
- 5 insanely good vegetarian picnic recipes you won’t have tried
- 7 Showstopping Vegan Bakes
- How to prep your veg… Cordon Bleu style!
- The easiest way to make more of sage
- 10 Ways You’re Doing Afternoon Tea Wrong
- 4 RECIPES FOR UK COFFEE WEEK
- 10 must-cook Christmas recipes for vegetarians
- View all
How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
At Veggie HQ, we're always looking for ways to make our lives more eco-friendly for the good of the planet, and one way we are trying to achieve this is through creating our own capsule wardrobes. But what does it involve, and how difficult is it? Deputy Editor, Sian Bunney investigates...
People in my office may not have realised that, for a week or so, I was recycling some key pieces from my existing wardrobe – let me tell you about a couple. First up, the ‘all-black-everything’ power look: a blazer with metal fringing à la Elvis Presley, T-shirt, leggings, and ankle boots. Très chic, I assure you: just go and search #allblack on Instagram – 3.1 million posts as I type (and some New Zealand rugby pics that don’t go amiss…). My second look was a casual affair: black jeans, cream knitted jumper, corduroy jacket and black trainers, elevated slightly by some enormous gold hoops that Pat Butcher would be proud of. Eighties earrings are back, people, rejoice!
So, how did I go about choosing things for my mini capsule wardrobe? Firstly, I paid attention to the latest style tips on fashion newsletters I subscribe to, and chose items I already owned that fit the bill; in my case: chunky gold accessories, all black dressing, knitwear, and corduroy. This meant that I didn’t succumb to fast fashion ethics of overhauling my closet with brand new ‘in season’ items – trends come and go, as I’ve found out recently to my peril. Animal print is back in fashion in a major way, and only recently I sold my vintage faux fur leopard coat online for fear of looking like Kat Slater (sorry, Eastenders fans). I still want to cry at the thought! I implore you to hang onto your most treasured pieces, especially the ones you wear time and again, offsetting the production costs of your clothes.
During the overhaul process, I also sifted out anything that could be given to charity or friends, removed anything summery that could hibernate under my bed, and only chucked out things with defects as a last resort. Doing this helped me rediscover all of the stylish gems I already owned, and made me realise where the gaps were in my collection that I could fill with sustainable brands.
It's a great way to sort through your clobber, but while a lot of advice suggests ignoring the trends, I prefer to make my key pieces work with the trends.
Fancy creating your own capsule wardrobe? Share your story with us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram!
More from Green Living
The festive period can still be magical without the waste and expense to the planet – Anna Blewett finds out how you can make simple swaps this season
Jetting off somewhere soon? Don't forget these essential buys to make your trip even better!