Cruelty Free Beauty
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- 5 Vegan Tinted Moisturisers to Get Your Glow Back
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- SuperGreen Seeded Energy Bars
- Valentine’s Breakfast Bowl
- Ken Hom’s Vegan-friendly Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles
- Love’s Vegan Chocolate Pot
- IMMUNE BOOSTING SOUP & SEEDY CARROT MUFFINS
- Smashed Avocado and Lime Toasts
- Sri Lankan Style Curried Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- Christmas Lentil, Pistachio and Cranberry Loaf
- Mushroom Wellington
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- Sophie Michell’s 3 Ways With Pancakes
- It’s World Vegan Month Let’s Talk All Things Vegan…
- 5 Recipes To Try This Pancake Day
- 5 health boosting smoothie ingredients
- 7 Recipes for Clean Eating
- UK’s First Plastic-Free Supermarket Opens In London
- 8 Sizzling Summer Dresses
- Jazz up roasted veggies in an instant with this simple herb butter
- The Ultimate Recipes For Veganuary!
- 7 Delicious, Speedy Ways with Tenderstem
- 6 of the Best Mood-Boosting Foods
- View all
3 Top Tips For Starting A Cruelty-Free Business
With ethical living growing more popular by the day, yoga instructor turned award-winning business owner Louise Palmer-Masterton shares her thoughts on founding a cruelty-free enterprise
"Cruelty-free is having its moment. From veganism to animal welfare and non-animal testing, more and more people are demanding transparency from businesses in terms of their practices. Even ethical business such as ourselves are having to dig deeper into everything, from supply chain to personal morals and motivations, to stand up to the rigorous challenge that being truly cruelty-free brings.
"So where do we start being cruelty-free? Well, of course, as with anything, I do believe we start with ourselves. I had my ‘aha’ moment as a teenager. I had a chance encounter with the Krishna movement and was introduced to the idea of compassionate eating for the first time. I gave up eating meat on the spot and never looked back. Not eating animals is a big part of being cruelty-free for me, and I personally feel you cannot claim to be cruelty-free if you consume or sell meat products.
"I think these kinds of ‘aha’ moments have the power to change the path of your life in a very transformative way. So, it helps to educate yourself about what is really going on in the world: in farming practices, how we treat animals, and how we treat each other. Take time to read about what actually goes on, without staying in your comfort zone with this information out of sight.
"So how does this look in a business?
1: On the surface, it is about your suppliers and the supply chain. Everything needs to stand up to scrutiny. Not stocking products that are tested on animals and having that as a company policy is important.
2: We, of course, also eliminate ALL animal products from our stock and supply chain. We only work with ethical suppliers who have done their own due diligence on their suppliers.
3: Beyond that, and perhaps even more importantly, being cruelty-free really starts with positive actions and interactions. And that comes from you. Be kind and be compassionate with everyone. Staff, suppliers, contractors anyone with whom you have professional dealings.
"I believe that if we want to live in a cruelty-free world, it starts with compassion to self and compassion to others - whoever they are. If all our thoughts and actions were grounded in love, the world truly would be a cruelty-free place."
More from Vegetarian blog
Discover a vibrant, delicious soup and Melissa's top tips for eating well this winter...
Looking for some new dishes to inspire your Veganuary journey? We've got you covered! Try one of these delicious recommendations, and don't forget to share your efforts with us using the hashtag #VeggieReaderRecipe on social media!
We take our pick of the best vegan recipes to wow this Christmas!
It has emerged that banned chemicals make up many of our children’s plastic toys