Pine Nut and Carrot Roast with Mushroom Sauce
Ready in: 60 mins +
"This is a really delicious, light and tasty nut roast that’s always popular for a special meal, and my gravy is the perfect finishing touch: do try it!"
1 onion, finely chopped
225g carrots, finely grated
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
225g pine nuts, grated
2 tbsp chopped parsley
squeeze of lemon juice
2 free-range eggs
sea salt and freshly ground
freshly grated nutmeg
[hd]For the sauce[/hd]
7g dried mushrooms, rinsed
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp vegetarian Madeira or fortified wine
2 tbsp shoyu sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ Gas 4. Grease and line a 500g (1 lb) loaf tin. Put the mushrooms and water for the sauce into a saucepan, boil then remove from the heat and leave to soak for around 40 minutes.
- For the roast: Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onion, without browning for five minutes, then add the carrot and celery and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the pine nuts, parsley, lemon juice and eggs. Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then pour into the tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and firm in the centre.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, drain the mushrooms (reserving the soaking liquid) and chop roughly.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and gently cook for 30 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with the soaking liquid, Madeira and shoyu, then add to the mushrooms. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Season.
- Turn the roast out onto a plate, slice thickly and drizzle with the sauce. Serve with lots of veg.