Penne with Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Ready in: 15 to 30 mins
Ingredients:400g purple sprouting broccoli
400g vegan penne
100g pine nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
sea salt and pepper
zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- Wash and trim the purple sprouting broccoli, discarding any tough parts of the stalks and cutting them into 2cm pieces. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and pour in the penne pasta. Boil the pasta for approximately 12 minutes until it is soft but still has a bite to it and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, bring a smaller saucepan of water to the boil and blanch the purple sprouting broccoli for no more than three minutes. Drain and set to one side.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry nonstick frying pan. The secret is to keep shaking them so they don't stick to the bottom and burn.
- Take a heavy saucepan and heat the oil. Once hot, add the shallots, garlic and chilli along with a little salt and pepper and sauté until soft.
- Add the pasta, lemon zest and juice and toasted pine nuts and fry for a further three minutes. Add the purple sprouting broccoli and serve.