Cruelty Free Beauty
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- The Vegan Manicure You Need to Know About
- 3 must-try vegan launches from Lush’s Naked range!
- The 2019 Beauty Buzzword You Need to Know…
- 5 Vegan Tinted Moisturisers to Get Your Glow Back
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 5 Easy Ways To Be More Eco-Friendly For Earth Day On 22nd April
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- Sticky Spiced Buns
- Mediterranean Avocado Hummus with Pitta Bread Crisps
- Almond, Turmeric and Kale Miso Ramen
- Easy Thai Mushroom Zoodle Soup
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE & HAZELNUT QUINOA PORRIDGE
- Roasted Squash Macaroni
- SuperGreen Seeded Energy Bars
- Valentine’s Breakfast Bowl
- Ken Hom’s Vegan-friendly Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles
- Love’s Vegan Chocolate Pot
- IMMUNE BOOSTING SOUP & SEEDY CARROT MUFFINS
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- 5 Seasonal Abel And Cole Recipes To Try This Month
- 8 Recipes That Use Coconut Oil Like A Boss
- 10 Vegetarian Christmas Recipes That Aren’t Nut Roast
- Keep The Kids Busy With This Step-By-Step Guide To A DIY Hiding Space
- 5 Reasons We Love The McCartneys
- The Daily Grind
- natural remedies for rosacea
- It’s World Vegan Month Let’s Talk All Things Vegan…
- Mother Earth
- 5 Hemsley + Hemsley Recipes Perfect For Autumn
- 7 Tasty Ways with Pesto
- View all
VEGANUARY CHALLENGE WEEK TWO
Half way through the Veganuary challenge and deputy editor, Sophie, has a confession to make...
This week I faced what many vegans fear the most; eating out. Worst still, eating out with meat eaters. Ardent meat eaters. I had known this particular celebratory family gathering would occur smack bang in the midst of the challenge, and despite my best efforts to convince the birthday girl that celebrating her birthday a month late was perfectly acceptable, I was resigned to the fact that I would inevitably be forced to sit amongst a gaggle of judgemental faces and the dreaded side of chips and salad. To my surprise, the evening came and went with little fuss. Inspired by Veganuary’s tips, I had made a polite phone call in advance to the restaurant, prompted by the waitress to give a gentle reminder of what vegans can and cannot eat and told there would be not one, but two, choices for me on the night. Success!
With each new day, I seem to find a new vegan blog or cookbook that inspires me. Social media in particular is an amazing source of inspiration. A quick search of the hashtag #veganrecipes on Instagram results in 262,369 posts, so go wild! This week, an email from Gran Luchito caught my eye and led me to their creative collection of vegan recipes. I’ve been adding their smokey chipotle paste to everything from sweet potato mash to marinating cauliflower ‘steaks’ overnight. The chipotle ketchup from the range is also vegan and oh-so good in a veggie burger bun.
I ate a pizza. Like a proper, cheesy, really, really good sourdough pizza. I know, I know. But it was planned and in research for my wedding. As it happens we booked the caterer, so it was totally worth it. There may also have been a salted caramel chocolate mousse. But we won’t got there...
Firmly back on the bandwagon the next day and the new range of vegan pots launched in Pret stores kept me going when stranded at Liverpool Street Station waiting on a delayed train. A Spiced Corn & Quinoa pot and Asian Greens Veggie Pot (avocado, peas, edamame, coriander and seeds) were particular highlights. I even got the meat-eating buddy to try the new cauliflower and chickpea dahl and and she practically licked the bowl clean. Plus, you can now get all coffees with coconut milk as a dairy-free alternative – a revelation with a flat white.
VEGANUARY HIGHLIGHTS – WEEK TWO
Crosta & Mollica tomato pizza bases are vegan and made homemade pizza night a breeze. I topped mine with artichokes, black olives, corn and grilled peppers. Yes, I missed the cheese. No, I didn’t complain about it. See? I’m getting better.
Dried goldenberries are my new desk snack. They’re even better coated in raw chocolate.
Arbonne Daily Power Packs for women are keeping me feeling spritely and topping up my B12 levels, which is difficult to consume from unfortified plant sources.
The Tofoo Co smoked tofu is a game changer. It’s seriously good fried until crispy in sesame oil and added to satay noodles and spiralized veggies.
Another week down! If you're joining in the challenge or want to follow my journey, follow along on social media. You can find me at @rae_soph on Twitter and Instagram.
More from Vegetarian blog
Need a new mascara? These ethical mascaras worth sp-lashing out for, as tested by Sadie Frost and Veggie deputy editor Sian Bunney
Make these simple swaps today and do your bit to save the planet!
Ella Mills, the author, chef and entrepreneur behind plant-based powerhouse, Deliciously Ella, divulges her vegan meal secrets and shares an insight into her diet for a day…
Deputy editor, Sian, visited Live True London's Vauxhall and Nine Elms salon to be treated to ORLY's vegan Breathable Nails polish – read on to find out her verdict!
Find out what deputy editor, Sian thought when she ventured out to Boxpark Shoreditch to try the latest vegan and veggie items on the menu...