Spiced biscotti biscuits packed with cranberries, pistachios and cherries are perfect for dunking in tea and coffee at Christmas. They make great gifts too.
Ingredients:150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
25g ground almonds
80g unrefined golden caster sugar
1 large free-range egg
30g agave syrup
1 tbsp Meridian date syrup
zest of an orange
30g dried cherries
40g dried cranberries
60g shelled pistachios
unrefined icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/250F/Gas 4 and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, spice, almonds and unrefined sugar. In a separate bowl beat the egg and combine with the syrups and orange zest.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix with a knife and then your hands to bring together into dough. Add the fruit and nuts and knead until evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture in half and shape into fat sausages. Lay them on the baking sheet, well-spaced, and bake for 30 minutes until they have risen and feel firm. Remove from the oven and turn it down to 120C/250F/Gas 1/2.
- Cool for a few minutes then use a bread knife to slice diagonally into 1cm slices. Lay the slices back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 20 minutes turning halfway through. Once cooled, they will keep for up to a month in an airtight tin. Dust with icing sugar to serve.