Deep Dish Rhubarb and Strawberry Tarts
Ready in: 60 mins +
Ingredients:250g plain flour
50g icing sugar
100g butter at room temperature, diced
2 free-range egg yolks
1 1/2 tbsp cold water
[hd]For the filling[/hd]
2 egg yolks
25g caster sugar
150ml double cream
200ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
[hd]For the topping[/hd]
250g trimmed rhubarb, cut into 2.5cm lengths
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
400g strawberries, halved or sliced depending on the size
- First make the pastry; add the flour, sugar and butter to a food processor and mix until fine crumbs. Add the egg yolks and mix until a soft dough, adding a little water as needed.
- Knead pastry on a floured surface then cut into eight pieces and roll out each piece until a little larger than a 9cm (3 1/2in) loose-based tart tin. Lift the pastry into the tin and press up the sides then trim a little above the top of the tin. Prick the bases, put the tins on a baking sheet and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line each tart with a square of non-stick paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the beans and cook for five minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks and whole egg with the sugar in a bowl. Bring the milk and cream just to the boil in a pan then gradually whisk into the yolks. Add the vanilla essence then strain back into the pan.
- Add the rhubarb to a small roasting tin, dot with the butter and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Take the tarts out of the oven, reduce the temperature to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Pour the custard mix into the cases and put in the oven with the rhubarb on the shelf above. Bake the tarts for 15-20 minutes and the rhubarb for 20-25 minutes. Add the redcurrant jelly to the rhubarb juices and stir until melted.
- Take the tarts out of the tins. Mix the strawberries with the rhubarb and spoon over.