Cruelty Free Beauty
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- 5 Vegan Tinted Moisturisers to Get Your Glow Back
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- SuperGreen Seeded Energy Bars
- Valentine’s Breakfast Bowl
- Ken Hom’s Vegan-friendly Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles
- Love’s Vegan Chocolate Pot
- IMMUNE BOOSTING SOUP & SEEDY CARROT MUFFINS
- Smashed Avocado and Lime Toasts
- Sri Lankan Style Curried Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- Christmas Lentil, Pistachio and Cranberry Loaf
- Mushroom Wellington
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- 19 Easy Vegetarian Packed Lunch Ideas
- Why You Should Prepare Your Nuts and Seeds
- 7 Delicious, Speedy Ways with Tenderstem
- 10 things to look out for in our June issue
- 12 Things You’ll Only Understand if You Love Nut Butter
- LUCY SIEGLE’S 5 EASY ECO HACKS
- The best veggie foods to try when you’re travelling!
- 5 TOP PANCAKE DAY RECIPES
- natural remedies for rosacea
- The 13 Best Vegan Recipes of All Time
- 6 Ways With… Rainbow Chard
- View all
5 tips for cooking mouth-watering beetroot
Don’t peel or cut beetroot prior to cooking or the colour (and nutrients) will leach out. Instead, gently scrub the beets to clean thoroughly and twist off the green tops and then either:
Small to medium beets can be roasted whole, or cut into quarters. Boil for 15-20 minutes, drain and place in a roasting tin. Lightly coat with oil and seasoning and roast at 180C/360F/Gas 4 for 40-45 minutes (timing will vary depending on the size of the beets).
Put beetroot in a pan of water, bring to the boil and heat for 40-45 minutes. Beetroot is quite high in sodium so you don’t need to season.
Preheat oven to 170C/325F/ Gas 3. Put the whole beets into a baking dish, cover with foil and cook for 1-2 hours (depending on the size of the beets). Leave until cool enough to handle, and remove the skins - they should slip off fairly easily.
Raw beetroot can be peeled and grated to add a sweet flavour and great colour to salads, or try juicing it with other vegetables such as carrots and celery. Use gloves or a plastic sandwich bag to hold beetroot when grating it to avoid pink fingers!
5. Clean it up:
If you avoid it because of the pink stains it can leave, simply rub your hand with lemon juice and salt before washing with soap and water. On fabrics, rub a slice of raw pear on the stain before washing in a biological powder. Use a bleach solution for cutting boards and containers.
More from Vegetarian blog
Discover a vibrant, delicious soup and Melissa's top tips for eating well this winter...
Looking for some new dishes to inspire your Veganuary journey? We've got you covered! Try one of these delicious recommendations, and don't forget to share your efforts with us using the hashtag #VeggieReaderRecipe on social media!
We take our pick of the best vegan recipes to wow this Christmas!
It has emerged that banned chemicals make up many of our children’s plastic toys