Courgette, Sweet Potato & Chickpea Veggie Burgers
These moreish veggie burgers from Microplane are perfect for entertaining during barbecue season. Fresh, hearty and full of flavour, they're easy to make using the Microplane Master Series Extra Coarse Grater and bound to be a real crowd-pleaser.
Ingredients:2 red onions
1 tsp butter
1 tsp sugar
250g sweet potatoes
400g tin of chickpeas (220g drained weight)
1 free-range egg
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
1/2 bunch of chives, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 burger buns
1 tomato, sliced
Chipotle mayonnaise, to serve
- Cut the red onions into thick rings, melt the butter with the sugar and brown the onion. Set aside.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and the courgette, then grate both with the Microplane Extra Coarse blade.
- Drain the chickpeas and roughly crush half of them, then put everything together in a bowl.
- Add the free-range egg, flour, breadcrumbs, chives, garlic, salt, pepper and the smoked paprika spice into a bowl. Mix everything together to a dry mass.
- Form the burgers either with your hands or with a burger shaper, rub a little oil on each side and cook them on the barbecue. Once cooked, remove from the barbecue on to kitchen roll.
- Toast the burger buns on the barbecue or in the toaster. Assemble the burgers: bread roll base, salad, burger, onions, tomato, mayonnaise and finally the bread roll lid on top.