Cruelty Free Beauty
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- 3 must-try vegan launches from Lush’s Naked range!
- The 2019 Beauty Buzzword You Need to Know…
- 5 Vegan Tinted Moisturisers to Get Your Glow Back
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE & HAZELNUT QUINOA PORRIDGE
- Roasted Squash Macaroni
- SuperGreen Seeded Energy Bars
- Valentine’s Breakfast Bowl
- Ken Hom’s Vegan-friendly Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles
- Love’s Vegan Chocolate Pot
- IMMUNE BOOSTING SOUP & SEEDY CARROT MUFFINS
- Smashed Avocado and Lime Toasts
- Sri Lankan Style Curried Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- Christmas Lentil, Pistachio and Cranberry Loaf
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- 19 Easy Vegetarian Packed Lunch Ideas
- 10 Ways You’re Doing Afternoon Tea Wrong
- Your Week’s Dinners Sorted.
- Veganuary Challenge
- 7 Times Tesco’s Recipes Totally Nailed It for Vegetarians
- 13 things only vegetarians do
- The Melissa Hemsley Tabasco Recipe We’re Loving!
- How To Keep Your Healthy Eating Resolutions
- 7 Showstopping Vegan Bakes
- The easiest way to make more of tarragon
- 6 Fun Ways With Fresh Produce
- View all
Secrets of a Chef: How to think like a professional
5 mins with Tom Aikens
I knew I wanted to be a chef from a fairly young age. From the age of eight back in Norfolk, my twin brother and I were in the kitchen helping mum with basic home baking, making things like cookies, biscuits and cakes. We would always lick the raw mixture out of the bowl! But we also had a real land-to-plate culture in our household. We grew all our own vegetables, so would help Mum and Dad with the planting, growing and picking. Becoming a chef was a natural evolution from this upbringing.
There are always trends but I’m not conscious of following them as they go out of fashion soon enough. Trends are only successful in the short term. I prefer to do my own thing. But if I were to identify some trends at the moment. Well, in London it is all about simplistic food done well such as burger bars and shacks. Peruvian cooking also seems to be flavour of the month. And people are really looking to eat more healthily becoming far more lactose-, dairy- and wheat-conscious. Probably as a result of this, we are seeing a rise in the popularity of vegetarian restaurants too.
Breakfast is the most important meal of my day to give me the stamina I need. Because I eat dinner early at around 6pm I tend to wake up very hungry. I’ll have a bowl of porridge with fresh fruit, or some toast.
If you do regular exercise you can pretty much get away with eating what you like within reason and moderation. But you should avoid too much processed and manufactured food. And then there are some foods that cause discomfort to people, but these days there are solutions and alternatives out there like Lactofree which offers the taste and nutritional benefits of dairy without the side effects caused by the presence of lactose. Oh, and don’t eat cream cakes!
More from Vegetarian blog
Discover a vibrant, delicious soup and Melissa's top tips for eating well this winter...
Looking for some new dishes to inspire your Veganuary journey? We've got you covered! Try one of these delicious recommendations, and don't forget to share your efforts with us using the hashtag #VeggieReaderRecipe on social media!
We take our pick of the best vegan recipes to wow this Christmas!
It has emerged that banned chemicals make up many of our children’s plastic toys