Aine Carlin’s Flat bread pizza
For the pizza dough:200g white spelt flour 1 tsp quick acting yeast 2 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp maple syrup ¼ tsp fine sea salt 140ml lukewarm water
For the cashew cheese:100g soaked cashews juice ½ orange 1 tsp cider vinegar 1 garlic clove 2 tbsp nutritional yeast ½ tsp sea salt 100ml water
For the toppings:1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved 2 tbsp baby capers ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper large handful of rocket 1 tbsp garlic or truffle oil
- Cover the cashews in filtered water and soak for 8-12 hours until they are plump and soft. Drain, rinse and add to a blender along with the orange juice, minced garlic, nutritional yeast, sea salt and water. Blend on a high speed for up to 10 minutes until it is completely smooth, scraping down the sides from time to time. Transfer to a container and refrigerate until needed.
- Place the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the warm water, olive oil and maple syrup. Using a fork, gradually work the flour into the water in a clockwise motion until it forms a rough dough ball. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 7-10 minutes or until it’s smooth and elastic. Rub the ball in olive oil and return it to the bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave it to rise in a warm place (such as an airing cupboard) for at least one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 240C/475F/Gas 9 and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out of it before turning it out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly knead for a minute or two before shaping it into a rough rectangle. Transfer to a floured baking sheet and liberally spread with cashew cheese – keep the remainder for dipping. Dot the top with the halved cherry tomatoes and capers before seasoning with black pepper. Bake in the pre-heated oven, on the uppermost shelf, for 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a serving board and cover with a large handful of fresh rocket. Drizzle over the garlic or truffle oil, slice and serve.