Sweet Potato Dosas
Ready in: 60 mins +
These are a delicious, spiced alternative to pancakes. You want to mash the sweet potato a bit when it's in the pan to make it nice and fluffy. Recipe extracted from MOB Veggie: Feed 4 or More for Under £10 by Ben Lebus (Pavilion Books). Photography: Haarala Hamilton.
Ingredients:plain (all-purpose) flour
chickpea (gram) flour
4 sweet potatoes
1 red onion
2 red chillies
fresh coriander (cilantro)
salt and pepper
- Pour 100g of each flour into a large bowl with 375ml water, and use a whisk to mix the ingredients into a smooth batter. Cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour. It will keep for up to five days.
- Preheat your oven to 220C/450F/Gas 8.
- Chop your sweet potatoes into cubes and drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft and caramelized.
- Chop the onion, four garlic cloves, a 2.5-cm piece of ginger, one red chilli (de-seed it first) and the coriander stalks.
- Add some olive oil to a frying pan, then fry two teaspoons each of mustard seeds, fennel seeds and cumin seeds, until they are fragrant.
- Add your chopped onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander. Fry this over a low heat until soft. Add a teaspoon of ground turmeric and the roasted sweet potato. Mix well, semi-mashing the sweet potato.
- Oil a frying pan, pour a ladle of batter into the pan and move your ladle in a circular motion to create a thin pancake.
- Flip and cook the dosa so that both sides are golden-brown and crispy. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Take a dosa, spoon in some sweet potato filling, and finish with a bit of lime juice, more chopped red chilli and some chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy, MOB!