Crispy Butter Bean and Spinach Soup
This zingy green soup by Melissa Hemsley in association with Tabasco is just what we're craving!
Ingredients:3 x 400g tin of butter beans, drained and rinsed (700g drained weight)
2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
400g baby spinach
200g frozen peas
4 tbsp TABASCO® Green Sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 onions, finely chopped
1 leek, finely sliced
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped and keeping the leaves in the middle for garnish
2 garlic cloves, chopped
800ml quality vegetable stock or broth
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper To serve:
small handful of mint leaves
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7, and add the three drained tins of butter beans to a large baking tray (or two) so they are all in a single layer. Add two tablespoons of TABASCO® Green Sauce, two tablespoons of oil, salt and pepper, and mix together so everything is coated evenly. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, shaking the beans halfway through until crispy and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt the oil and fry the onion, leek, garlic and celery on a medium heat for 10 minutes until soft, then add the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add three-quarters of the crispy butter beans and the remaining two tablespoons of TABASCO® Green Sauce to the saucepan with the stock and bring to a boil, then simmer for five minutes with the lid on.
- Add the peas and then the spinach a little at a time, until wilted, and the spinach and peas are cooked (about one minute).
- Blitz the soup until smooth and then squeeze in the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Serve immediately and top with the remaining crispy beans, mint leaves, extra virgin olive oil and celery leaves.