Macaroons not only look beautiful but taste delicious - even better if they contain superfood powders and no refined sugar! These naturally-coloured mini treats might take a bit of effort to make but the result is definitely worth it. Make for a special occasion to wow your friends!
Ingredients:100g Indigo Herbs stevia 60g Indigo Herbs ground almonds 1 teaspoon cornflour 30g stevia 2 large or 3 small egg whites (at room temperature, this is important!) 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs matcha powder 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs turmeric powder 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs raspberry or beetroot powder 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs cacao powder ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the fillings:75 coconut oil, solid 2 tablespoons coconut cream (can of coconut milk chilled in the fridge overnight - scrape out the solid part) 120g stevia 2 teaspoons coconut flour ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs matcha powder 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs turmeric powder 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs raspberry or beetroot powder 1 teaspoon Indigo Herbs cacao powder
- First place the 100g stevia, ground almonds and cornflour in a blender and whizz up to form a fine powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl place b eat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Slowly add the 30g stevia and beat until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Add the vanilla extract - then this is where the fiddly bit is to divide the mixture into 4 bowls (leaving one in the bowl) and sift each different superfood powder into each bowl. Beat each for 30 seconds with the whisk to incorporate. Set aside.
- Carefully weigh out and divide the ground almond mixture into four - add to each superfood bowl and fold in well to form a smooth batter. Don’t overmix it!
- Use a small cutter and a large sheet of greaseproof paper to draw circles so they are all the same size and place on two baking sheets.
- Do this one colour at a time: Transfer the batter to a piping bag with a large circle tip. Pipe macaroons using the circles as a guide. Firmly tap the baking trays to remove any air pockets. Let the macaroons stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Bake for about 17-18 minutes until nicely risen and slightly crispy on top - allow to cool on the tray for at least 15 minutes.
- For the fillings: Beat together the solid coconut oil and cream cheese together until smooth then add the stevia, coconut flour and vanilla.
- Once again, divide this between 4 bowls and to each, add the different superfood powders. You may want to add more stevia or maple syrup to sweeten.
- Pipe onto one of the matching macaroons and top with a second one - arrange them all to look pretty and enjoy!