Spring Vegetable Risotto
A quick and easy risotto that's bursting with gorgeous spring veg and absolutely delicious.
Ingredients:2 bunches spring onions
150g young carrots
1 litre vegetable stock
200g sugar snap peas
200g petits pois peas
225g risotto rice
4 tbsp dry white wine
50g vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
15g fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
4 tbsp crème fraîche
25g pea shoots or watercress sprigs
salt and pepper
- Thinly slice the spring onions, separating the white part from the green. Cut the carrots diagonally into 1cm thick slices. Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan and keep over a low heat.
- Add the sugar snap peas and carrots into a separate pan of boiling, salted water, followed by the petits pois. Cook for one minute, drain, then splash over cold water before popping open and halving the sugar snaps to expose the peas. Set these ingredients to one side.
- Melt 65g of the butter in a pan and add the white spring onions. Cook for one minute, then add the rice and stir until evenly coated in the butter. Cook for a further minute, then pour in the white wine and simmer until it has been absorbed. Add a large ladleful of hot stock and simmer, again until absorbed. Repeat the process until the rice is creamy but not sloppy- this should take approximately 25 minutes. You may not need all of the stock.
- Stir in the green spring onions and cook for two minutes along with the last of the stock (if necessary). Add the carrots, sugar snap peas, petits pois and Parmesan-style cheese and cook for a further two minutes. Melt the remaining butter in a small pan and stir in the mint leaves, then add to the risotto.
- Season to taste and spoon onto plates, then top with the crème fraîche and scatter over the pea shoots. Serve straightaway.