Spicy Chickpeas with Roasted Bunched Beets
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Crisp roasted chickpeas, tender, sweet cubes of roasted beetroot and wilted beet tops. This is a super nutritious dish that's good on it's own for a light lunch or dinner, especially topped with a dollop of yoghurt or crumbled feta and a sprinkling of chopped coriander or parsley.
Ingredients:1 bunch beetroot, with leaves
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed & drained
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp chilli powder
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Cut the leaves from the beetroot. Trim, wash and peel. Cut the beetroot stems into short lengths and wash them and the leaves, then leave to drain.
- Cut the beetroot into wedges and toss in just enough oil to coat. Season.
- Pat the chickpeas dry with kitchen paper. Toss on another baking tray with just enough oil to coat.
- Put the beetroot in the oven for about 30 minutes until tender. After the beetroot has been in the oven for 10 minutes, add the chickpeas.
- Remove both from the oven and toss the chickpeas in the spices. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan. Add the beetroot stems and fry for a minute or two. Add the leaves and stir to wilt.
- Add a good squeeze of lemon, toss in the beetroot and chickpeas and stir. Check the seasoning before serving.