Seeded Goat’s Cheese & Sweet Potato Salad
Take time to enjoy a substantial salad during the cooler months
Ingredients:125g soft goat’s cheese 1 red onion 50g baby leaf salad 30g 3 seed mix 30g chopped dates 1 white wine vinegar sachet (15ml) 1 large sweet potato
- Preheat the oven to 220C/ 425F/ Gas 7. Chop the sweet potato (skins on) into large, bite-sized pieces. Cut the red onion into quarters, leaving the skins and root on, this stops them drying out and falling apart when roasting.
- Add the chopped sweet potato and onion to a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Put the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the onion is tender and the sweet potato is cooked and starting to crisp.
- Meanwhile, wash the baby leaf mixed salad and dry with a clean tea towel or kitchen paper. Once dry, add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the 3 seed mix to a separate baking tray or oven-proof dish. Put the tray in the oven for five minutes or until the seeds have darkened slightly in colour. Once toasted, remove the tray from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the white wine vinegar with 3 tbsp olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper – this is your dressing. Chop the chopped dates up a little more, so they are very finely chopped.
- Grind a generous amount of pepper onto a chopping board, add the toasted seed mix and the chopped dates and chop the lot roughly. Roll the goat's cheese into the seedy mix.
- Once the vegetables are done, carefully remove the skins from the cooked onion by cutting off the root and carefully peeling off their skins. Separate the onion quarters into petals. Add the onion petals, sweet potato, and remaining seed mix to the salad bowl.
- Slice the seeded goat's cheese into thick slices or break it into rough pieces. Serve the goat's cheese over the salad and drizzle the dressing over.