Pistachio & Rose Scones
Delicate floral notes perfectly complement the nutty crunch of these delicious scones - ideal for a sophisticated afternoon tea
Ingredients:225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ tsp salt
25g golden caster sugar
50g unsalted butter, diced
2 tsp rose extract
4 tbsp milk
50g pistachios, chopped
beaten egg, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180F/Gas 6 and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the salt and sugar. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then add the rose extract.
- Mix the buttermilk and milk together in a jug, then pour into the bowl a little at a time. Before the dough has completely come together, add the pistachios and combine to form a smooth, but slightly sticky dough. Be careful not to overmix.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, then roll out to 3cm thick. Cut the mixture into 16 scones, preferably using a 5.5cm diameter cutter. Place on the prepared baking tray and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes until well-risen and golden. Serve with fresh jam and clotted cream.