Papardelle with Shaved Asparagus, Broad Beans and Pea Puree
A delicious pasta dish made with field fare frozen peas and broad beans. A perfect way to celebrate the days of spring and early summer.
Ingredients:500g field fare frozen peas (defrosted) 500g field fare frozen broad beans (defrosted) 1 pinch sugar 150ml double cream 2 bunches of asparagus 320g pappardelle 10g fresh marjoram Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Olive oil
- Make the pea purée in advance. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the peas for three minutes. Drain the peas, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water, and place into ice water. Place the peas in a blender with some of the cooking water, add a pinch of salt and sugar then process to a purée.
- Add just enough double cream to help it process, then set aside.
- Cook the broad beans in boiling salted water for one minute, before draining and refreshing in ice-cold water. Once cold, drain and pop off the outer pod from each bean then set aside.
- Set aside six spears of asparagus per person. Cut off the tips and keep them to use as a garnish. Add the remainder of those spears to the others, which will be used to make ribbons. Trim the woody base from the asparagus – this will be about an inch or so, at the base of each spear, which can be reserved for soup. Using a swivel-head peeler and working from the head of the spear to the base, shave ribbons of asparagus and place them in a bowl.
- Bring a large pan of water, and a second smaller one, to the boil and salt both well.
- Gently reheat the pea purée in a small pan, taste for seasoning and set aside in a warm place. Place the pasta in the large pan of boiling water and cook until al dente. Boil the reserved asparagus tips in the smaller pan for four minutes.
- Drain the pasta when done, reserving a few tablespoons of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pan, along with the cooking liquid, broad beans, a dash of olive oil, half the asparagus ribbons and half the fresh marjoram.
- Season with salt and add half the asparagus spear tips. Divide the pea purée between four plates, making a round bed in the centre of each. Pile the pasta in the centre of each, then finish with the rest of the shaved asparagus and the asparagus tips. Add one last dash of salt and pepper and then scatter the rest of the marjoram over the top.