Mushroom, Pea and Low-fat Cheese Risotto
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
This hearty supper is full of robust flavours and is ideal for serving to family or friends. Accompany with a peppery rocket salad.
Ingredients:1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 large leek, thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 litre low salt vegetable stock
350g Arborio rice
ground black pepper
60ml white wine
half a lemon (rind pared)
2 tbsp lemon juice
225g brown cap mushrooms, sliced
75g petit pois or garden peas, thawed
125g vegetarian low-fat hard cheese, finely grated
a drizzle of virgin olive oil to serve
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan and keep it at just barely simmering point.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan, add the onion, leeks and 2 tbsp water and cook for about two to three minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Stir in the rice and season well. Add the wine, lemon rind, lemon juice and a ladleful of stock. Cook all these together gently, stirring occasionally until the wine and stock has been absorbed.
- Add the mushrooms and gradually begin adding the simmering liquid, a ladleful at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next. Keep stirring and adding ladlefuls of stock (this will take about 25 minutes).
- When most of the stock has been added and the rice is creamy, add in the peas and low-fat grated hard cheese and stir until the cheese begins to melt. Remove the lemon rind and check the seasoning. Serve in warm bowls with rocket.