Ready in: 15 to 30 mins
Ingredients:1 medium onion, chopped
115g fine green beans
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 x 400g cans haricot beans
3 sticks celery
50g small pasta shapes (eg macaroni)
2 medium carrots
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
a small handful basil leaves, shredded
1.8l vegetable stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
freshly shaved vegetarian Parmesan style cheese (optional)
- Trim the celery and cut into small pieces, then peel the carrots and chop them into 1cm dice.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes to soften, then add the garlic, celery and carrots and cook for five minutes.
- Add the stock and the canned tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, trim and cut the green beans into 4cm lengths. Drain the haricot beans in a sieve, rinse and drain again. Add both beans to the soup, along with the pasta, and cook for eight minutes, until the pasta is done to your liking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then stir the shredded basil if using. Serve scattered with flakes of cheese if liked.