MINDFUL CHEF X HALLY’S VEGAN “INSIDE OUT TOFU BURGER”
Ingredients:For the tofu bun: 300g tofu 1 tbsp tamari 2 tsp chilli paste 1 tsp maple syrup 2 tsp sesame oil 2 tsp white sesame seeds For the edamame & matcha patty: 100g fresh edamame beans 1/4 tsp matcha powder 3 tbsp chickpea flour 2 spring onions 2cm fresh ginger 1 garlic clove 1/2 tbsp sweet miso paste 1 tbsp sesame oil 1 portobello mushroom 100g kimchi 50g carrot 1⁄2 cucumber 2 tsp apple cider vinegar 2 radishes 1 tsp black sesame seeds For the sweet chilli sauce: 1 tbsp chilli sauce 2 tsp sesame oil 1 tsp tamari 1 tsp maple syrup
- Cut the block of tofu in half horizontally to form two slices and cut a circular piece of tofu from each. In a bowl, mix the chilli sauce, tamari and maple syrup. Place the tofu in the marinade, coat with the sauce and leave while you prepare the edamame patty.
- Finely chop or grate the garlic and ginger. Thinly slice the spring onions. In a bowl, mash the edamame beans with a potato masher until roughly mashed.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp of the sesame oil, add the ginger, garlic and spring onion and cook for three minutes until softened. Place this mix into a large bowl, then add the mashed edamame beans, matcha powder, chickpea flour and sweet white miso paste. Form the mix into a burger shape around 2cm thick.
- Heat the same frying pan with 2 tsp sesame oil on a medium heat and cook the burgers for 3-4 mins each side until golden brown. At the same time, in the same pan, cook the portobello mushroom for 2-3 mins each side until softened.
- Heat a separate frying pan on a medium heat with 2 tsp sesame oil and cook the tofu for five minutes each side, until turning golden. Brush with the remaining marinade and sprinkle over most of white sesame seeds.
- Peel the cucumber into long thin ribbons and place in a bowl with vinegar. After 10 minutes, remove from the vinegar.
- Julienne or spiralize the carrot and mix with the kimchi.
- Thinly slice the radishes.
- Mix the ingredients together for the sweet chilli sauce.
- Assemble the burger - place a slice of tofu as the bun base, then place the portobello mushroom on top, then the edamame patty, then the kimchi carrot, then layer over the pickled cucumber and sliced radishes. Drizzle over the sweet chilli sauce and sprinkle over the black sesame seeds. Top with the tofu bun and the remaining white sesame seeds.