Kale and Butternut Frittata
Ready in: 15 to 30 mins
Ingredients:250g butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 large free-range eggs, beaten
4 tbsp grated vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
salt and pepper
- Cut the skin from the squash and discard any seeds, chop into small dice, put into a pan and just cover with water. For the kale, strip the leaf part away from the tough stalks, roughly shred the leaves then place in a steamer. Sit the steamer over the pan of squash and steam for four minutes until wilted.
- Squeeze out any excess water, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Drain the squash well and add to the bowl.
- Heat half the oil in a medium frying pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring until soft and golden, add to the kale and squash.
- Add the cheese to the eggs, season with a little salt and pepper and stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pan and place over a medium high heat. Add the egg mixture and, as soon as it begins to set, loosen it a little around the edges. Continue to cook the frittata over a low heat for about eight minutes until the egg has almost set. Meanwhile heat the grill.
- Pop the pan under a hot grill for two minutes until the top is golden and the frittata is cooked through. Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold.