INDIAN SPICED POTATO AND COCONUT CURRY
An incredible curry packed with flavour which will keep you heaping spoonfuls onto your plate! Recipe courtesy of the Potatoes: More Than A Bit On The Side campaign at lovepotatoes.co.uk
Ingredients:300g new potatoes, halved
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp garam masala
2 garlic cloves
1 thumb of ginger
2 green chillies
1 tin of ½ fat coconut milk
1 tbsp tamarind paste FOR THE SAMBAL:
6 tbsp desiccated coconut
½ tsp ginger powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli flakes FOR THE CHUTNEY:
1 bunch of fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar, xylitol or date syrup
- Blend the sambal ingredients together and set aside.
- Blend the chutney ingredients coarsely and set aside.
- Heat a heavy saucepan with the oil. Blend the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies then add to the oil and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the curry powder and cook for another minute.
- Add the potatoes, coriander stems and tamarind, stir well and pour in the coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the coriander leaves and serve with the sambal and chutney and some papadoms if you like.