Classic Chocolate Cake
Celebrate National Chocolate Week with this delicious offering - complete with creamy filling and melt-in-the-mouth sponge.
For the cake:200g butter
200g caster sugar
4 free-range eggs
3 tbsp cocoa
200g self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:100g unsalted butter
150g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
For the icing:50g chocolate
1 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160F/Gas 4.
- To make the cake, beat together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in one egg, followed by a spoon of cocoa, then repeat with the second and third eggs - adding a spoon of cocoa after each. Beat in the final egg.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture, then once incorporated, add the milk and vanilla and stir until a batter forms. Divide the mixture between two lined cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter for the icing, then sift in the icing sugar. Add the cocoa and mix until combined. Once the cakes have cooled, spread the filling over one of the cakes and place the second on top.
- Finally, prepare the icing by melting the chocolate and butter together, then stir in the golden syrup. Pour the icing over the top of the cake then neaten if you wish, or allow it to drizzle down the sides for decoration.