California Walnut and Mushroom Burgers with Cucumber and Walnut Salad
Walnuts add a 'meaty' texture to this burger, blending perfectly with the mushrooms. The California walnut and cucumber salad adds an extra level of nuttiness enhanced by a drizzle of walnut oil.
Ingredients:4 buns of your choice (brioche or wholemeal work well) For the burgers:
250g mushrooms, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 x 400g tin of black beans, drained
70g California walnuts, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tbsp breadcrumbs (this recipe uses panko, but regular breadcrumbs can be used)
salt and pepper
170g plant-based alternative to yoghurt
a squeeze of lemon juice For the cucumber salad:
150g cucumber, thinly sliced
35g California walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
a drizzle of walnut oil
- Place the mushrooms and a teaspoon of the oil into a medium-sized non-stick frying pan. Season with a pinch of salt and sauté over a medium heat until they’re a rich dark brown.
- Place the cooked mushrooms, black beans, California walnuts, cumin, coriander, one minced clove of garlic and the breadcrumbs into a mixing bowl. Season generously and knead into one lump, then shape the mixture into four burgers.
- Stir together the yoghurt with the remaining minced garlic, and season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Mix together the cucumber salad ingredients, adding the walnut oil at the end.
- 5. Place the remaining oil into the frying pan you were using earlier and fry the burgers for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Lightly toast the buns and spread with the yoghurt mixture, then top with the burgers, followed by some of the cucumber salad to serve.