Bramley and Blackberry Pie
Ready in: 60 mins +
Ingredients:75g golden granulated sugar,
plus 1 tsp extra
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp plain white flour, plus a little extra for rolling out
grated rind and juice of 1 orange
650g Bramley apples
150g fresh or frozen blackberries
250g sweet shortcrust pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (adjust temperature for fan ovens). Mix together the sugar, spice, flour and orange zest.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into thick slices. Put in a bowl and pour over the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Put half the apple slices and blackberries in the base of a 20cm pie dish and sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Add the remaining apples and blackberries, then cover with the remaining sugar mixture and pour over any orange juice left in the bowl.
- Cut off 25g pastry and roll out on a lightly floured board into a thin 1.25cm strip – you can do this in two or three pieces if you like. Dampen the edge of the pie dish with a little water then put the thin strip of pastry along the edge.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a round to fit the top of the pie. Dampen the thin pastry strip with water, then lift up the pie top using the rolling pin and cover the pie. Use the end of a round-bladed knife to seal the edges together.
- Cool for five minutes, then serve warm with cream, custard or ice cream.