Braeburn Apple Galette with Amaretto Caramel
The ideal autumnal dessert - this show-stopping galette is a sweet apple delight.
Ingredients:For the pastry:
75g buckwheat flour
125g plain flour
50g ground hazelnuts
pinch of salt
150g cold butter, cut into cubes
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 free-range egg yolk
½ tbsp ice-cold water For the filling:
450g Braeburn apples, peeled and sliced
juice of ½ lemon
zest of 1 orange
2 bay leaves
4 tbsp soft brown sugar
50g ground hazelnuts
25g whole hazelnuts, halved
1 free-range egg, whisked
1 tbsp demerara sugar
vanilla ice cream, to serve For the caramel:
75g granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170C/350F/Gas 4.
- Start by making the pastry. Place both flours and ground hazelnuts, plus a good pinch of salt, in a large mixing bowl. Rub the cold butter into the flour with your fingertips until you achieve the texture of breadcrumbs. Mix in the brown sugar, egg yolk and ice-cold water using a fork. Bring together with your hands, working it into one lump. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for one hour.
- Add the apple slices to a mixing bowl with the lemon juice, orange zest, bay leaves and brown sugar, and toss everything together.
- Roll the pastry between two large sheets of parchment into a rough 30cm circle; around the thickness of a pound coin. Slide the pastry onto a flat baking tray.
- Scatter the ground hazelnuts over the pastry centre, leaving roughly a 5cm border. Pile the apples into the middle on top of the ground hazelnuts, then sprinkle over the hazelnut halves. Fold the edges of the pastry over the apples. Don’t worry if it looks rustic!
- Brush the pastry edges with egg wash and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp and the apples are golden.
- To make the caramel, add granulated sugar, butter and Amaretto to a small pan over a medium heat. Swirl the pan from time to time until the sugar has dissolved and you have a golden caramel.
- Drizzle the caramel over the tart, then leave to set for a few minutes before serving. Slice and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.