Asparagus and Pea Minestrone Soup
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Ingredients:250g asparagus tips
150g fresh peas (podded weight) or frozen petit pois
6 spring onions, trimmed and cut into thirds
3 small carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into rounds
100g fresh or frozen podded broad beans
1 medium-sized fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
5 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs (include mint, chives and parsley)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
150ml vegetarian dry white wine
510ml good vegetable stock
100ml double cream
freshly grated or shaved vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
squeeze of lemon
freshly ground pepper
- Melt the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the fennel and carrots and stir over a gentle heat for 5-6 minutes, being careful not to let them burn.
- Add the spring onion and cook until softened, then pour in the white wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook for a further five minutes on a low to moderate heat. Add the asparagus, broad beans and peas and cook for a further five minutes until tender.
- Stir in the herbs and cream and season well with a squeeze of lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve at once, sprinkled with vegetarian cheese and with a chunk of warm bread on the side.