Cruelty Free Beauty
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- The Vegan Manicure You Need to Know About
- 3 must-try vegan launches from Lush’s Naked range!
- The 2019 Beauty Buzzword You Need to Know…
- 5 Vegan Tinted Moisturisers to Get Your Glow Back
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 5 Easy Ways To Be More Eco-Friendly For Earth Day On 22nd April
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- Sticky Spiced Buns
- Mediterranean Avocado Hummus with Pitta Bread Crisps
- Almond, Turmeric and Kale Miso Ramen
- Easy Thai Mushroom Zoodle Soup
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE & HAZELNUT QUINOA PORRIDGE
- Roasted Squash Macaroni
- SuperGreen Seeded Energy Bars
- Valentine’s Breakfast Bowl
- Ken Hom’s Vegan-friendly Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles
- Love’s Vegan Chocolate Pot
- IMMUNE BOOSTING SOUP & SEEDY CARROT MUFFINS
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- Keep The Kids Busy With This Step-By-Step Guide To A DIY Hiding Space
- The easiest way to make more of Thyme
- The Ultimate Recipes For Veganuary!
- 6 Spiralizer Recipes That Will Brighten Up Your Day!
- Go Nuts for Coconuts! Here are our 6 Favourite Coconut Recipes
- 7 Delicious Zero-Waste Dishes
- Become a vegan natural chef with CNM
- 10 must-cook Christmas recipes for vegetarians
- Our Favourite Vegan Recipes for Christmas
- Our Top 5 Organic Beauty Buys
- Nutrition Chat…
- View all
Warning For UK Shoppers Over Toxic Toys
It has emerged that banned chemicals make up many of our children’s plastic toys
UK Christmas shoppers have been warned of the risks after it was discovered that 290 of the 563 EU intergovernmental alerts issued over the course of one year were about plastic toys containing illegally high levels of chemicals. All of these toys could still be on sale in high streets across Britain.
To give you an example, almost half of toys which featured slime and putty, tested in a separate survey, had unexpectedly high levels of boron, wildly overshooting EU safety limits. As boron can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and even impact fertility in extreme cases, this isn't great news for any Christmas shoppers purchasing toys.
This is the latest revelation in a series of incidents which the UN is calling the ‘silent pandemic’ of toxic pollution. Tatiana Santos, the chemicals policy manager of the European Environmental Bureau, told The Guardian: “Manufacturers do not fear the law and government inspectors are outnumbered and outgunned. We need proper chemicals control and enforcement more than ever.”
While you finish up your last-minute shopping, it's worth bearing in mind the other kinds of toy on offer, and instead, choose wooden or eco-friendly toys from independent stores to ensure your children are free from exposure.
If you're going chemical-free this Christmas, take a look at our pick of the best natural, cruelty-free beauty stocking fillers to help with any last-minute shopping. We can also help if you're planning an eco-friendly Christmas this year – don't forget to read our top tips for inspiration before the big day!
More from Vegetarian blog
At Veggie HQ, we're always looking for ways to make our lives more eco-friendly for the good of the planet, and one way we are trying to achieve this is through creating our own capsule wardrobes. But what does it involve, and how difficult is it? Deputy Editor, Sian Bunney investigates...
For light coverage and deep hydration, you can't go wrong with this range of tinted moisturisers and BB creams...
The Body Shop has added to its huge vegan range this January - and we're excited!
Complete your cruelty-free look with the best vegan-friendly lipsticks, as reviewed by Team Veggie
Beauty addicts Sian and Shannon put 6 cruelty-free nail polishes to test for strength, colour and staying power…