Cruelty Free Beauty
- The Best Vegan Mascaras Available In The UK: Reviewed
- Sadie Frost’s Beauty Secrets
- The Vegan Manicure You Need to Know About
- 3 must-try vegan launches from Lush’s Naked range!
- The 2019 Beauty Buzzword You Need to Know…
- 5 Vegan Tinted Moisturisers to Get Your Glow Back
- 3 LUXURIOUS BODY SHOP LAUNCHES FOR VEGANUARY
- The Top 6 Vegan Lipsticks
- 6 vegan nail varnishes for instant glamour
- View all
- 5 Easy Ways To Be More Eco-Friendly For Earth Day On 22nd April
- 6 Steps To Your Best Ever Zero-Waste Christmas
- 8 Eco-Friendly Travel Must-Haves
- How To Create The Perfect Capsule Wardrobe
- View all
- Miguel Barclay’s Sweetcorn & Courgette Fritters
- Sticky Spiced Buns
- Mediterranean Avocado Hummus with Pitta Bread Crisps
- Almond, Turmeric and Kale Miso Ramen
- Easy Thai Mushroom Zoodle Soup
- CHOCOLATE ORANGE & HAZELNUT QUINOA PORRIDGE
- Roasted Squash Macaroni
- SuperGreen Seeded Energy Bars
- Valentine’s Breakfast Bowl
- Ken Hom’s Vegan-friendly Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles
- Love’s Vegan Chocolate Pot
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- 19 Summer Desserts Perfect For Vegetarians
- 3 Easy Steps to Silky-Smooth Skin
- 6 Fun Ways With Fresh Produce
- 12 Things You’ll Only Understand if You Love Nut Butter
- 5 Creative Concoctions for Your Morning Commute
- 5 Breakfast Upgrades From Honestly Healthy You Need To Try!
- 5 Jamie Oliver Recipes That Make Us Glad We’re Veggie
- 7 Gnocchi Recipes You’ll Cook Time and Time Again
- 8 Easy Ways To Make Your Skin Glow!
- Bill’s top tips to celebrate the autumn harvest
- Welcome to the eco house
- View all
VEGANUARY CHALLENGE WEEK THREE
Struck down with the lurgy, deputy editor, Sophie turns her attention to natural health remedies and ethical beauty...
Week three and I’ve been hit with the office lurgy.
Trying to remember what little I ate has proven rather difficult (I blame the constant state of drowsiness!), but I do remember there being a lot of soup – root vegetable, red pepper and lentil, minted pea and a chipotle three bean stew that helped clear the sinuses!
A usual bout of sickness would have had me turning to a packet of tablets to ease the dull ache (many flu capsules, Lemsip for example, aren’t veggie friendly, so read those labels!) but since starting the challenge I’ve taken a far more natural approach to my health. Out with the ingredient names I can’t pronounce and in with natural remedies; ginger, lemon and turmeric shots every morning (if you can’t juice your own try Moju cold-pressed boosters) and steam breathing with essential oils (I’ve been using doTerra eucalyptus).
While my appetite has taken a nose dive I’ve not been cooking as much as usual, but I have been focusing on pampering my body, trying to get it to recuperate quicker. When I took on the challenge, I imagined it would only be my diet that had to change, but I’ve sadly noticed how many of my beauty products were, uncomfortably, not-so ethical. It’s a slow change, but I think if I introduce a new product every month to my routine, I’ll be on my way to fulfilling my quest for ethical beauty. From make-up to bubble baths, shampoo to moisturiser, it seems the industry - and us consumers - are slowly waking up to need for 100% cruelty-free ingredients. I’ll be writing a blog in the coming weeks to champion all the ethical beauty brands that I’ve come across, so stay tuned.
VEGANUARY HIGHLIGHTS – WEEK THREE
Lush bombs – making my long soaks in the tub a little more colourful and cruelty free.
Biona for their tins of organic beans and lentils – the aduki and black beans helped create that tasty bean stew.
Merchant Gourmet – the newly designed range of ready-to-heat pouches are a lifesaver for fast, lazy dinners. When my taste buds returned I used the super seeds with quinoa and chia pouch for the base of a warm salad, tossed with roasted butternut squash, rocket leaves, black olives and sun-dried tomatoes. A simple dressing of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper sealed the deal. My appetite is back!
Linwoods – I’ve been a sprinkler of the organic milled flaxseed for a while (makes a great egg replacement in vegan baking, too) but the new packs of super seed Snackettes were a welcome addition to my 3pm snacking habit – great dipped in hummus or guacamole.
Onto the final stretch! If you're joining in the challenge or want to follow my journey, you can find me on social media at @rae_soph on Twitter and Instagram.
More from Vegetarian blog
Deputy editor, Sian, visited Live True London's Vauxhall and Nine Elms salon to be treated to ORLY's vegan Breathable Nails polish – read on to find out her verdict!
Find out what deputy editor, Sian thought when she ventured out to Boxpark Shoreditch to try the latest vegan and veggie items on the menu...
Get familiar with these three types of beauty wonders from Lush, and enjoy being part of the 'Naked' revolution sweeping skincare!
It's the wellness wonder hot on every beauty editor's lips – but what is Ayurveda, and how can you get involved in this trending tradition? We explore how this ancient practice applies to skincare – and you might just learn something about your own needs, too!
Discover a vibrant, delicious soup and Melissa's top tips for eating well this winter...