The Ultimate Veggie Pie
Serve up this decadent centrepiece for a weekend treat!
Ingredients:1 roll of premade shortcrust pastry 1 free-range egg, for the egg wash 2 leeks, cut into thick rounds, about 5-6cm ½ butternut squash, cut into wedges 2 beetroot, quartered olive oil, for drizzling sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 free-range eggs, for the tart filling 100g cream 150g vegetarian mascarpone a handful of parsley, finely chopped a handful of thyme, finely chopped 1 courgette, ribboned 100g feta the seeds of 1 pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Line your pie tin with the pastry. Trim the sides leaving an overhang of about 1cm. Fork right round the edge of the pastry and all over the bottom of the pastry. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Line the pastry with baking paper then fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the beans and baking paper. Whisk an egg to make an egg wash then lightly brush the whole tart with gg wash and bake for a further five minutes until the pastry is cooked through and lightly golden. Set to one side.
- Line a flat baking tray with parchment. Crank the oven up to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Drizzle the beetroot, squash and leeks with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes. (The beetroot may need an extra 10-15 minutes depending on their size.) Set aside to cool.
- Now make your pie filling. Whisk the cream, mascarpone, eggs and herbs together in a bowl and season well.
- Turn the oven down to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Pour your mixture into the case to fill it ¾ full. Carefully place your roast veggies into the pie leaving the rustic, beautiful bits sticking out. Curl your courgette ibbons all around the roast veggies and bake for about 40 minutes or until the pie is set and golden.
- Sprinkle with feta and pomegranate seeds to serve.