Serves: 4 Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Risotto balls meets Indian flavours in this gorgeous recipe that would make a great starter or fantastic party food
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
a thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
1 garlic clove
1 pouch Tilda British Curry Rice
handful of fresh coriander, chopped
a few nigella seeds
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp mango chutney
3 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
25g paneer, cut into 1cm cubes
1 tbsp mild chilli powder
1 free-range egg, beaten
oil, for frying
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies and fry gently until softened.
- Empty half of the curry rice into a large mixing bowl. Blitz the rest in a food processor until smooth. Add to the bowl.
- Add the coriander, nigella seeds, coconut and mango chutney and mix together well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Toss the paneer cubes in the chilli powder and some salt.
- Form the rice into balls about the size of a walnut. Press a cube into the centre of each ball and squeeze into a ball shape.
- Coat in flour and egg then roll in crumbs. Heat some oil in a small pan to 180C or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds.
- Fry the arancini until golden brown – about one minute. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with raita and seasonal salad.