Malaysian Rendang Curry
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Ingredients:3 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 garlic cloves
6 shallots or 1 onion, sliced
2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and sliced
2-3 fresh red chillies
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
250ml tin coconut milk
1 tsp tamarind pulp, dissolved in
1 tbsp water
4 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 x 160g packs Cauldron Marinated Tofu Pieces
2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Heat a dry frying pan, add the desiccated coconut and toast until lightly golden.
- Pound or blend together the toasted coconut, garlic, shallots or onion, lemongrass, chillies, ginger, turmeric, salt and sugar to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan. Add the paste and cook for five minutes, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan, along with 125ml water, the tamarind and water mixture, star anise and cinnamon stick and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for a further five minutes. Then add the marinated tofu pieces and continue to cook the curry gently for another 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped coriander.
- To serve, garnish with more fresh coriander. Delicious served with steamed rice or noodles and chilli fried spinach (for the chilli fried spinach recipe, visit http://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk
Download Shopping List