300g wholemeal shortcrust pastry
450g onions, chopped
3 tbsp oil
25g butter or margarine
15g parsley, chopped
100g vegetarian cheese, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roll out the pastry and use to line six 10cm (4") individual tins or foil dishes. If you don't have time to make it from scratch, you can use ready made shortcrust pastry – it works just as well!
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender and, while they’re cooking, sauté the chopped onions in the oil until really soft.
- Combine the potatoes and onions, add the butter, parsley, 50g of the cheese, garlic and milk, and season well to taste. Cool, then use to fill the pastry cases.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven at 220C/425 F/Gas 7 for 20 minutes, until golden. Alternatively, if you prefer to make one large flan, use a 20cm (8") tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with a crisp green salad or fresh steamed vegetables.